‘What if... Why not...?: Creative Risk-taking in Art, Design and Performance’ was a symposium organised by Central St Martins (in partnership with the Teaching and Learning Exchange) as part of the on-going Teaching Platform series of events exploring contemporary issues in art and design education. It took place at Central St Martins on 21 March 2016. This review takes the form of a conversation between Åinne Burke and Neus Torres Tamarit who, along with other students on the MA in Art and Science at Central Saint Martins, devised workshops as part of the symposium. As well as these workshops, this daylong symposium brought together keynote presentations that asked whether creative students are allowed to take risks in university learning. Participants explored how risk-taking is perceived within learning and artistic practice, considering whether teaching can accommodate the possibility of positive failures.
Risk, Workshop, Student-led, Failure, Curriculum Design, Assessment
Neus Torres Tamarit
Neus Torres Tamarit graduated in Fine Arts in 2007. She is transitioning her artistic practice to creating art about genetics. She is an artist collaborator at the Art Exchange at the Tate Modern and has exhibited internationally at places such as the Louvre Museum, Srishti Institute of Art Design and Technology (India) and the Susak Biennale (Croatia).
Åinne Burke has thirty-five years experience as an artist, writer, producer and director of workshops and projects in Ireland and internationally. Her work centres on the development and facilitation of our creativity and imagination about who we are and the world around us through art, science and technology. She has worked with a wide range of organisations including RTÉ (Ireland), Danmark Radios (Denmark), Norwegian Broadcasting Organization, Netherlands Outside Broadcasting, Svergis Television (Sweden), Canadian Broadcast Co-operation, BBC (UK), Philips Media (Netherlands, New York & UK) and The Office of the President of Ireland.
- Barnett, H. (2016) Available at: www.heatherbarnett.co.uk (Accessed: 30 May 2016).
- Burke, A. (2016) Available at: www.thepossibleself.com (Accessed: 18 July 2016).
- Frieling, R. (ed.) (2008) The art of participation, 1950 to now. San Francisco: Thames & Hudson.
- Kahneman, D. (2011) Thinking, fast and slow. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Kieran, M. (2016) Available at: www.matthewkieran.com (Accessed: 30 May 2016).
- Kieran, M. (2005) Revealing Art. London: Routledge.
- Lange, S. (2016) Available at: www.silkelange.com (Accessed: 30 May 2016).
- Philips, A. (2002) Houdini's Box: The Art of Escape. London: Vintage.
- Torres Tamarit, N. (2016) Available at: www.neustorrestamaritart.blogspot.com (Accessed: 18 July 2016).
- UAL Teaching Platform. (2016) What if…Why not…?: Creative Risk taking in Art, Design and Performance. Available at: http://events.arts.ac.uk/event/2016/3/21/What-if-Why-not-Creative-Risk-taking-in-Art-Design-and-Performance/ (Accessed: 30 May 2016).